Sunday, October 11, 2009

Day 2

I cruised into West Yellowstone, Montana not too long ago. I'm sitting on my bed watching the Twins. I tuned in in the 9th inning. I kinda want to turn it off so I don't ruin the rest of an otherwise perfect day.
I was in the Jeep a good solid 12 hours today with the exception of a few photo ops and gas station breaks. It was such a wonderful day, I'm not even sure I can think of anything witty or funny to say. I think I'm just going to gush about how gorgeous the trip was.
I started off leaving South Dakota fairly early and stopped by Devil's Tower. It's a darned good thing that Chad climbed it before I saw it up close and personal. I never would have let him go!!
After that I started my first trip into the mountains. I picked a route that wasn't the tamest, but wasn't the scariest. However, as soon as I started my ascent, it started to snow, then blizzard. It was a riot. I couldn't go any faster than 30 for 50 miles.
When I finally got to the bottom, I headed thru Cody and on to Yellowstone. I didn't realize there was another mountain range. With snow. Again. Blizzard. Again.
But worth it. Yellowstone was the most gorgeous place I've ever been, and I've been a lot of places. It was so alive. The gysers were everywhere. I thought it was just a couple! It seemed so prehistoric. I saw so much wildlife everywhere. There were mountain goats, buffalo, elk, mule deer, white tail deer, and a wolf. I saw a wolf. It was wonderful. There were even guys fly fishing in the river. I just feel so lucky to have seen this place. It filled me with awe and peace...like this is what is real, and the rat race that I'm part of is all illusions. I can't even begin to write enough about it to get the feeling across. It was just so wonderful.

Hmmm....I'm guessing the potato museum tomorrow will pale in comparison. :)

1 comment:

  1. kate, i don't know where you are going in Idaho but my cousin lives in

    Lewiston and her name is cookie johnson and her husbands name is JJ that's about all i
    know about that, except that lewiston is pretty far up into idaho..
    keep having fun and we love you....dad

    ReplyDelete