Thursday, October 15, 2009

Day 6...change of plans, friends.

The beauty of being on vacation by yourself, is that you can change your mind and change direction anytime you want to.  I woke up this morning and didn't feel so hot (and no, I'm not hungover).  I think it was a lack of sleep because the people in the room next door were partying all night long.  Such is Vegas.  I checked out my path to my next destination, and if I was going to stop at the Grand Canyon and Four Corners, I'd have a full day of travel ahead of me again.  Roughly 12 hours.  If I cut out those stops, I'd still be looking at 7 hours today, then several hours the following day roughing it through the now snow-filled mountains of Colorado (with a forecast for more).  Followed by Nebraska...and if I can quote a Chris and Johnny song, "Nebraska's the longest damn state in the Union with only Iowa to look forward to."
So, I've decided to come home today.  I'm too tired to comfortably drive 500 miles today. I've turned in my rental car, I've canceled the rest of my hotels, and used a bunch of frequent flyer miles to get a $13.00 flight home.  I feel like I've seen all the great stuff, had loads of fun, and met some great people along the way.  I've learned bunches about myself.  Not the least of which is what I learned today:  I fully intended to finish the trip for one reason only, so all of you who are reading wouldn't be disappointed in me or think I couldn't do it.  I didn't want to feel like a failure. But I had to really think hard and remember that this trip is about me.  About what I wanted to do, wanted to see.  And now, I want to see home.  I don't want to finish the trip just because I said I would.  Now I'm saying I'm not - at least not in the way I had originally planned.

I'm sitting right now in McCarren Airport waiting to board my plane back to home.  I'm going to pet my dog, hug my husband, and relax. 

I have really enjoyed having this adventure by myself.  I feel like I've remembered now what it's all supposed to be about.  For me.  For your own answers, I strongly suggest a trip to West Yellowstone, Montana.  But perhaps you may want to choose a summer trip without snowstorms.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet Kate: (this is your mom speaking)Changing your mind is not failing - it is a woman's God given right!! I couldn't be more proud of you - you did a little bit of reckless adventure that is good for the soul, and now you are smart enough to end the trek on a good note. Having good times, finding out secrets about yourself, letting some other people meet you, and coming home safe and sound. Dad and I couldn't be prouder of you. xxoxoxooxoxo Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, I just read all your blogs; they are great! I can totally see you on the 2 lane highway with all the cattle surrounding you. Very very funny! You saw so much and did a great thing for yourself. I am very proud of you. Enjoy your trip home via the air and start planning that summer trip back to Yellowstone...never been there, but you have sold me on needing to go there, too. Love ya,
    Auntie Kelly

    ReplyDelete