Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Day 4...a.k.a Utah is huge...a.k.a. I'm in Vegas!

I just arrived at the New York, New York in Vegas.  It's 7:30 and I've been driving since 8:30.  If I would have taken the direct route from Salt Lake to here, it would have taken less than five hours.  As it is, it took forever.  I spent all day going down two lanes roads, across mountains, over canyons, through state parks and seeing what a diverse landscape Utah has.  I had figured my little detour through Southwest Utah would have added an hour or two.  In fact, it added five.  I'm exahusted.
However, I had a great time and saw things I never would have seen otherwise.Namely, a real cowboy.   Not the rodeo type.  A real, honest to goodness, up on a horse, herding cows, cowboy!  I saw this because he was herding his cattle from one pasture to the next one.  The pasture he was trying to get them to was a mile down the two lane road.  I was driving on said two lane road.  You know how in the movies you see a car surrounded by cattle or sheep or something.  That was me.  There were cows behind me, cows in front of me, cows to the right and left.  I was surrounded by a herd of cattle, mooing like crazy, meandering down the road.  It was hysterical.  One of the very best parts of the trip so far.  I will post pictures a little later.  I kept laughing at all the Cattle Crossing signs I would kept seeing....little did I know.
My trek also took me through Zion National Park.  I've never seen anything like that.  The red rock formations were so beautiful.  I kept looking for Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote.  The switchbacks down the side of the cliff in Zion were amazing....one on top of the other to descend to the bottom of the canyon down one side of the cliff...back and forth about ten times. 
I'm beginning to lose count of the times I've been to Vegas, but this is special.  This is an accomplishment.  It doesn't really take much to get into a car and drive, but it's still a new experience that I didn't know if I had it in me to accomplish.
And in celebration, there is a Colorado Bulldog somewhere downstairs with my name on it.  I think one before bedtime is on the agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment